Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default New carpet preparation

On 1 Oct 2016 13:35:36 GMT, KenK wrote:

How do you measure for new carpet? To the nearest rounded foot, to the
next higher foot, to the next inch, convert inches in measurement to
decimal foot, ???

What about tack strips - all places where carpet touches a wall? Or are
there other places these should also be used?

How is carpet puchased? To the nearest square foot? Or is it rounded up
to the number of feet in standard carpet roll width - 20 ' or whatever?

How do you determine what thickness of padding to buy?

What else should I know while measuring?

Anything else I should have asked as a complete carpet purchasing tyro?

TIA

Couple of thoughts. If the sub floor is wood and you have squeaks,
when the carpet is removed - that is a good time to make repairs and
fasten it down.

Some carpet selections may have a pattern every three (3) feet and the
pattern needs to be matched. That may require additional carpet.

As a teen I worked awhile as a install helper. It can be hard on the
body - back and knees over the long term. I'd not DIY it anymore.