Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default New carpet preparation

On 10/01/2016 8:35 AM, KenK wrote:
How do you measure for new carpet? To the nearest rounded foot, to the
next higher foot, to the next inch, convert inches in measurement to
decimal foot, ???

What about tack strips - all places where carpet touches a wall? Or are
there other places these should also be used?

How is carpet puchased? To the nearest square foot? Or is it rounded up
to the number of feet in standard carpet roll width - 20 ' or whatever?

How do you determine what thickness of padding to buy?

What else should I know while measuring?

Anything else I should have asked as a complete carpet purchasing tyro?

Other answers good; a more complete exposition of points covered by
Terry/Ed is at

http://www.carpetbuyershandbook.com/buying-carpet/important-buying-info/carpet-measuring.php

Note that 12-ft is the most common width; 15-ft and 13'-6" are available
from some manufacturers for some carpets; you'll just have to ask what
any particular carpeting you select is available as--sometimes if the
dimensions are just wrong, it'll pay to pay a slight premium over base
cost to minimize waste or simply the number of seams reduction makes for
a much cleaner install so it's worth a little more up front cost.