Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 3:28:16 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
Me and my fellow electricians repaired a lot of extension cords for the
other trades like carpenters who sawed their cords in half. If an
electrical accident can happen, it often does on a construction site.

Many years ago I spent 2 weeks in the woods, camping with a bunch of friends
and helping a friend build a large cabin on his land. He had a generator so
we had power tools. Sometime near the beginning of the build, someone told a
story about someone else cutting the cord on a circular saw. "Don't cut the
cord!" became sort of rallying cry for the trip. Very often, when someone
turned off a circular saw, someone would yell out "Don't cut the cord!". The
cry would echo from all over the build site, with various people yelling
"Don't cut the cord!", then "Don't cut the cord!", one after another until it
until it finally died out.

On the last day that I was there, guess what I did? Yep, I put the saw down
on the cord as the blade was still spinning and cut the cord. The generator
made a weird noise and just about everyone heard the saw make a noise as the
cord wrapped around the spindle.

It was silent for a second then someone from a far corner of the build site
called out "He cut the cord." The echo chant now changed from "Don't cut the
cord!" to "He cut the cord.", "He cut the cord.". The timing was perfect and
we ending up laughing so hard it hurt.

Cousin I-Cut-The-Cord Monster