Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:33:38 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 09/28/2016 11:44 PM, wrote:

[snip]

I think they look stupid when they are upside down (ground on top). I
put them with ground on bottom because thats what I'm used to and what
looks best.

"looks stupid" and "looks best" is probably only what you're used to. If
they were usually ground up, it would be different.

We are people of habit. When I plug in a grounded plug in the dark, I
expect the ground on the bottom. I also expect light switches to go on
when the switch is UP, hot water on the left faucet, and so on. I once
moved into a house that had 2 side by side light switches mounted upside
down. That drove me crazy, so I re-mounted them quickly.