Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I splice a "Grounding Electrode Conductor" from the breaker panel?

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 02:51:49 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 23:46:16 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Irreversible butt splice is usually a large copper butt splice that needs a special tool

I did not see the start of this thread, but if you're trying to connect
a bare copper wire that's probably a solid #6 or #8 gauge wire, just buy
an appropriate sized SPLIT BOLT from an electrical supply store or
larger hardware store. Slip the wire ends into it, and tighten the bolt
on it. Real simple. I would not suggest doing this underground though.

Not on a grounding electrode conductor. They must be unspliced with
the 2 exceptions the OP cited. They do sell a one shot exothermic
splice but it is not cheap. Otherwise you need the big crimper or a
set of Cadweld dies. For most people it is easier to run a new wire
the whole way