Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Moving water heater to other side of wall

P@lc posted for all of us...

I have a 20-year-old electric water heater that is still working well. It is
installed in a laundry closet in the small kitchen. On the other side of the
laundry closet is the garage. I am moving the washer and dryer to the other
side of the wall. That has been a very straightforward process. I need to
move the water heater. I have very limited resources and will struggle to pay
the 400 the plumber estimated for turning the pipes 180 degrees. The tank is
connected to the 3/4 supply lines with flexible copper lines that screw on at
both ends. The electrical, which I am certain is no longer to code, is just a
wire running from the wall to the box in the tank. (No box in the wall and no
conduit)
I have sweated a few very simple repairs in a bathroom but that is all. I
recently used a sharkbite fitting for a repair and it has worked very well.
I am wondering if I could use a push fitting, which swivels, in the supply
line, and just turn the fittngs,180 degrees that way. As long as I leave an
access panel, would that be acceptable? I also wondered if I could bring the
electrical up to code in a few simple steps myself. I have removed the
drywall and see no complicating factors, and nothing else about the
installation is changing. I have very carefully switched out old outlets and
light switches and replaced a few ceiling fans, but that is the extent of my
experience with electrical.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...l-1110077-.htm

My only comment is that a 20 yr old water heater may not be working so well
after being moved. Figure that in your finances.

--
Tekkie