Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Hazmat fees when buying supplies

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 09:02:04 -0400, Randy333 wrote:

Any way around these stupid fees? I got a $5.00 fee on some TIG
welding rod. Cut me a break, it's just copper plated steel.

Do online suppliers pull this crap? Maybe if I threaten to buy all my
stuff online I can get these local guys to leave off the fees.

Hazmat on shipping, or because it's for scary processes that melt metal,
or what?

If it was on shipping, and you're in the US, then it was bunk. If it was
retail, then as others have mentioned it probably varies by state. It's
been a couple of years since I've bought welding rod, but I haven't been
hit by such, and I live in Oregon, where sometimes the motto seems to be
"we're not like that right-winged California place".

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested