Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Wood Storage

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 11:49:10 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've been looking at wood storage options. I have some wall space I'd like
to use. There are some commercial racks available and some shelving
options I've been looking at. I'm trying to figure out what'll give me the
best bang for the buck, with a good mix of storage capacity and actually
finding what I'm looking for.

What do you guys use? Do you have any favorites?

If I store boards flat on shelves, how close do the supports need to be to
prevent bowing?

Puckdropper

Wandel's cantilevered shelves are strong and economical.

https://woodgears.ca/shelves/index.html
https://woodgears.ca/shelves/garage.html

http://woodgears.ca/shelves/high.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhnVvcLsp-8

I did something similar in my garage for storing Soap Box Derby cars.

The thing I did differently was to use 45° 2x4 supports from the front of
the 3' deep shelves back to the studs. I then screwed short pieces of
horizontal 2x4's to the insides of the diagonals (perpendicular to the
wall) and added a ~18" deep shelf under each 3' shelf.

I had 4 sets of these (2 up, 2 across) on the side wall of my garage.
I could put a Derby car on each upper shelf and boxes of wheels, helmets
and other Derby supplies on the lower shelves. It made it easy to keep the
gear associated with each car right with each car.

These days the 3 remaining sets hold all sorts of miscellaneous garage
stuff. I have no clue where all that stuff was stored when the garage
was full of Derby cars. I certainly don't have any free space now that
the cars are gone. ;-)