Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default OT; It's been a funny old day....

In article , Jethro_uk
writes
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:55:22 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 26/09/2016 10:35, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 15:02:11 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article m,
dennis@home wrote:
Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3
than selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at
pump.

Whatever happened to the 'do not use your mobile phone in a filling
station', then? Do you drive off and pay later? ;-)

I know Mythbusters busted it a while back ... total bollox nowadays
(may have been true in the past).

Mythbusters didn't test for the real reason mobiles are banned.

I suspect the biggest danger if from dropping your phone and the battery
subsequently blowing up and taking the fuel with it.
Some phones don't even need dropping!

Having seen (admittedly older) engines light up like Christmas trees from
leaky HT leads, I remain sceptical of a lot of "science" behind bans
generally.

Most of it is just for show.

No one has the balls to "unban" it when the technology changes.
--
bert