Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OT Yahoo breach

"Mayayana"
Tue, 27 Sep 2016 03:09:30 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Yes. Everything's hackable. That wasn't the point.
The point is that my email is mine and I can delete
it from the server. You can't. (See above.)

Uhh. No, contrary to some movies, not everything is 'hackable' in the
gaining unauthorized access in the digital world sense. You can
delete it from your server, but, depending on the server software
you're using, you might just be marking a spot on an index/table that
tells the software this is free space now and it can hold xxx bytes
worth of data, store something else there if it's within the range.
Until that happens, the 'contents' of your deleted email can most
likely, be recovered.

| Google *computers* do read my email for ad placement. Just like
| your ISP's computer (server) reads your email for processing. A
| computer reading my email doesn't bother me much...as long as
| there are no humans looking over its shoulder.

That's your choice. They claim the right to read it.
I don't see any reason to trust them. It's like coming
home to find a man in my house and he says, "Oh,
don't worry. I'm just a salesman. I only broke in to
see how you live so I can sell you stuff." Call me
crazy, but I just can't see trusting the word or integrity
of that man.

Encryption can prevent the snooping concerns you have. Google has
many a computer, but, I presently know of nothing that can 'crack'
properly implemented, PGP for example. If you do, feel free to share.

You've expressed that you like GMail and don't
have any problem with anything they do. Presumably
you think it's a good deal to trade your rights to
save the price of a cup of coffee. That's up to you.
You asked what was different between freebie webmail
and real email. I explained it. For some of us the
difference matters. Personally I have my domain
email auto-delete junk webmail and don't correspond
any more than necessary with friends and family who
use it. I haven't agreed to let Googlites or Yahooans
read and store my personal correspondence.

Hmm...So, you aren't running your own server? You're using a 3rd
party? if true, you only have their 'word' that nothing is snooping
on you. Blind trust, much?

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That