Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Wood Storage

On 9/26/2016 5:32 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've been looking at wood storage options. I have some wall space I'd like
to use. There are some commercial racks available and some shelving
options I've been looking at. I'm trying to figure out what'll give me the
best bang for the buck, with a good mix of storage capacity and actually
finding what I'm looking for.

What do you guys use? Do you have any favorites?

If I store boards flat on shelves, how close do the supports need to be to
prevent bowing?

Puckdropper

Home made is best. You will get what you need, hold more, and it will
cost less.

I used 2x4 uprights, w/ 2x8s. The 2x8s are cut at an angle for supports.
You could also do 2x4 supports with ply doubler or tripplers.

You then get to layout your own system.
I ran the 2x4 uprights from floor to floor joist above. They are tied in
with carriage bolts to the joists, and held away from the wall a few
inches, and a little foot on the bottom holds the spacing from the wall.
This allows air, or small panels to go behind it.

Mine are 16" on center.

--
Jeff