Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT Yahoo breach

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 10:22:48 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote

| Actually, it's not the devices they are "tagging", it's the IP address
| which you are using. If I log in from either home or office where I
| have static IP addresses, I don't get the verification. If I log in
| from any other location, a pass code is sent to my smart phone and I
| have to enter it on the computer before my regular log in credentials
| are accepted.

This makes me feel old. I don't use webmail
to begin with. My cellphone, such as it is, is
a Tracphone that I turn on occasionally when
I need a phone booth. The system you're
describing seems like a great idea, but it also
assumes that you own and constantly use
a computer phone. But of course, these days
most people fit that profile.

There's no need for a "computer phone" just a phone that can receive phone calls or texts.

When I try to log into my bank from a "strange computer" it offers me

Call me at xxx-xxx-dddd (the d's are the last 4 digits of my cell phone)
Text me at xxx-xxx-dddd
Email me at

Within seconds I get a 6 digit code via the method I chose.

Obviously you have to register the phone number and/or email address
with them.