Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default OT Yahoo breach

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 00:16:57 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

Hmmmmm, I dont use email for ANY of the things you mentioned. Then again
I dont do online banking, or use my *REAL* credit cards online. (I get
those disposible pre-paid cards for online shopping). For the cost of a
few postage stamps, I'd rather send a check to pay my bills, rather than
risk online identity theft. And I can also use my phone to pay some
bills, for example, I can use a thing where I phone one of my utilities
and they will accept payment from my checking account without an actual
paper check, and no credit card required.

You worry too much.

I dont worry much at all. I'm cautious, and being cutious, eliminates
worry.

I only use email to chit-chat with friends and relatives, and
occasionally contact a business to ask a question about their products.
So if someone wants to hack into my email, I hope they enjoy reading
about my latest home or car repairs, my findings at rummage sales, my
pets, and my bitching about the weather.

If you use real email instead of an online version, you don't get hacked.

Yea, good advice 'IF' "real email" exists. Where I live, on a farm,
there is only one local option for internet service. That's dialup. It
involves having a landline phone, and the internet is included with the
phone bill, whether I use it or not. It's no longer a separate cost for
the internet. However, this dialup service only allows one to connect to
the net. There is no email account, and no help provided if a person
cant connect. Since I REQUIRE a landline phone (my cellphone does not
work at my home - NO or very poor SIGNAL).

To get high speed internet, I would have to get a service like DISH.
Their cost would be a minimum of $120 per month. NO THANKS!
I dont want the TV part of it, but it's a package.

So, there is no "real email" available. I'm stuck with yahoo, gmail, or
other free email. Yea, I'm sure I could pay for some sort of email
provider, but why bother. Like I said, if hackers want to read my email,
let em. They'll get bored and leave quickly.

It costs me about $3 a month for postage stamps and the cost of blank
checks, to pay my bills. So, why would I want to pay a lot more than
that, to buy a more secure email provider..... Not to mention that
paying online (on dialup), takes 5 times as long as it does to fill out
a check and stuff it in my mailbox.