Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Wood Storage

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
web.com...
I've been looking at wood storage options. I have some wall space I'd
like
to use. There are some commercial racks available and some shelving
options I've been looking at. I'm trying to figure out what'll give me
the
best bang for the buck, with a good mix of storage capacity and actually
finding what I'm looking for.

What do you guys use? Do you have any favorites?

If I store boards flat on shelves, how close do the supports need to be to
prevent bowing?

I made my own...
My problem was that the lumber rack was to be on a concrete block
wall which would have required a lot of PITA drilling if I depended on the
CB wall for support. I didn't. Instead...

1. 5 - 2x4 uprights, floor to ceiling length

2. Uprights hooked together on edge at 24" interval by two pieces of 3/4"
ply about 5-6 inches wide set into the uprights at about 18-24" from top and
bottom of uprights.

3. Hooked together uprights were attached to wall with screws into the
furring strips under the drywall.

4. Arms are 21" 2x4s lapped on each side with pieces of 3/4" ply; the ply
pieces are longer than the 2x4 so the ply fully overlaps the uprights and
are attached to them with 2 - 1/4" bolts. Each upright has four arms.

Now, that isn't going to hold up much weight before the screws pull out of
the furring strips so...

5. I made a plinth of PT 2x4s that is butted against the uprights and
Tapconed to the floor. It has a piece of 1/4 ply on top so that sawdust
doesn't accumulate inside.

That helps hold the rack up but not all that much. What really holds it
up is...

6. A 2x4 across the front of the uprights at the ceiling and lagged to each
truss.

The top set of arms was positioned so that long pieces lumber could extend
over the top of a door. They can extend to the other side too. I could get
16' lengths on the arms but there would be a 4' overhang on each end...too
much except to get something out of the way temporarily.

At the moment I have about 1500 pounds of lumber on it, steady as a rock. I
had 200 bf of mahogany on one shelf.