Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OT Yahoo breach

"Mayayana"
Sun, 25 Sep 2016 17:25:50 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote

| If your current password is "jTR653ew$*LvfddseZ+" that is a pretty
| secure password.

I read an interesting article awhile back saying
that one of the best ways to make a password is to
just join 4 words. Cracking algorythms necessarily
look for patterns. Four words is very memorable
to humans, but not a pattern mathematically. For
instance: breadtarmacskatesblot

You might want to re-read the article. You seem a bit confused on
what cracking algorithms can/can't do here.

More memorable, yet still seemingly random,
things could be invented that mean something
only to the inventor. For instance:
ruthdoilyxmasbarnard

That's only going to semi protect you against a basic dictionary
attack, a brute force one is going to get it once it reaches that
amount of characters. Just a matter of time. Cracking 'algorithms'
vary you see. simple Dictionary only attacks aren't very effective
against such passwords, but the one you used for an example is ripe
for a Brute force attack. The only thing that would save you in this
case is the amount of times yahoo will let you get it wrong before it
temp disables the account, etc.

For your aunt Ruth who like doilies and invites
the family every Christmas to her house in Barnard.
It's memorable to you but for a computer it's
just 20 random characters.

See above. your example is only a-z and nothing else; 20 characters
long. IE: NOT secure.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That