Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt V. Ullman Kurt V. Ullman is offline

Default our country needs a new type of firearm for police

On 9/25/16 3:42 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/25/2016 3:17 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 10:36:45 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 9/24/2016 12:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/24/2016 1:33 PM, Bob F wrote:

Snip

I'm not saying there are racist people as I know plenty of them. Just
because the guy is black we cannot say it was a racially biased
shooting, at least not yet. To assume it was is just as racists as it
would be if it really was. Let's see the evidence.

A black man in the US is 2.7 times as likely to be shot by police as a
white man.

The undeniable reason is that they are about 3 times more likely to
commit a crime than whites.

That will be considered by many to be a racist statement. There are
some socio-economic reasons behind it though.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7441/7...aaron-bandler#

According to Mac Donald, "A straight line can be drawn between family
breakdown and youth violence."

As economist Thomas Sowell points out, before the 1960s "most black
children were raised in two-parent families." In 2013, over 72 percent
of blacks were born out of wedlock. In Cook County –which Chicago
belongs to – 79 percent of blacks were born to single mothers in 2003,
while only 15 percent of whites were born to single mothers.

As do others. The important part being that the stats stay pretty much
the same whether you are talking about white, black or other ethnicity.
The controlling factor is intact or not household. This has also been
steady since the 70s.
Research by Sara McLanahan at Princeton University and others tells
us that boys are significantly more likely to end up in jail or prison
by the time they turn 30 if they are raised by a single mother. She
found that boys raised in a single-parent household were more than twice
as likely to be incarcerated, compared with boys raised in an intact,
married home, even after controlling for differences in parental income,
education, race, and ethnicity. Research on young men suggests they are
less likely to engage in delinquent or illegal behavior when they have
the affection, attention, and monitoring of their own mother and father.

Another researcher, Bruce Ellis of the University of Arizona found that
single female head of household also had a negative impact on girls.
About one-third of girls whose fathers left the home before they turned
6 ended up pregnant as teenagers, compared with just 5 percent of girls
whose fathers were there throughout their childhood. The divide marrowed
when controlled for parents’ socioeconomic background—but only by a few
percentage points. The research on this topic suggests that girls raised
by single mothers are less likely to be supervised, more likely to
engage in early sex, and to end up pregnant compared with girls raised
by their own married parents.

For a good discussion of the topic, I send you to Slate (hardly a
mouthpiece for the Right).
http://www.slate.com/articles/double...children_.html