Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Welding 4130

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 22:34:02 -0400
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:07:34 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

snip
I welded up a neighbors broken grass shoe earlier this summer for his
JD #5 Sickle Mower. It was in two pieces and had already been
welded/fixed a long time ago. Cast iron, never tried welding that
before. I bought some Forney Noma-Cast rod to try. Nickle rod is just
way too expensive for my fooling around abilities...

So far it has held together for at least one mow job. I had my doubts
it would even last that long ;-)

A friend and I have had good results welding cast with stainless
steel mig wire - using TIG and pre-heating the heck out of it. Have
had very good results on cracked exhaust manifolds, as well as cast
depth control sector on old John Deere tractor. Several of the
repaired parts are over 10 years old in regular use.

Clare, thanks for the tip. I'll add it to my welding cast iron notes.
Stainless filler rod has around 10% nickel depending on the type. Quite
a bit more chromium. I'm sure the nickel is helpful. This is where the
metallurgy education would be of use. What does the chromium do, help
or hinder the weld...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b