Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap R80 Reflector to Poundland Golf Ball SES LED conversion.

It happens that Adrian Caspersz formulated :
No, it's fine - got four in a room, all walls painted white. Used to have 4W
LEDs in the R80 shape for £6 per bulb (eBay). They only lasted a couple of
years and had a colder light colour.

Before was two batches of R80 11W CFL's from CPC. They hummed and weren't
exactly pretty end on.

And before was just standard R80 40W bulbs (and darkish walls).

From 120W down to 12W. I have saved a leaf in the rain forest.

I began 20 years ago with R80 E27 tungsten reflectors at 100w each.
Then because of their consumption and constant need to replace them, I
swapped them for 16w CFL's. Most recently I paid £9.50 for a pair of 9w
E27 R80 LED's, they are much brighter than the CFL's and made for less
of a bright pool of light we got from the original R80 tungsten.

The LED's have been in use a couple of months now, without problems.

It seems they are becoming better and more reliable.