Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Cheap R80 Reflector to Poundland Golf Ball SES LED conversion.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:55:34 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

One for those that last decorated in the 70s/80s when halogens weren't
the rage.

I've got a few incandescent R80 ES style eyeball light fittings in the
ceiling and fitting replacement CFL and LED bulbs to them is not so
cheap in bulk.

So, I've just hacked in a Golf Ball styled E14/SES 3W LED bulb from
Poundland using a cheap ES/SES adaptor from Amazon ...

Wanway E27 to E14 Socket Converter,ES to SES (78 pence free delivery)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0076W21CA

... using a discarded CD with an 25mm hole centre cut out (Q-Max metal
punch) as a reflector / hider of nasty looking metal work up beyond the
bulb. All looks better than in the photo when lit.

http://s912.photobucket.com/user/tur...gzdsu.jpg.html

Had to bend the the CD carefully to get in and past the 85mm aperture
opening. Expect to snap a few doing that (but AOL CDs are plentiful...)

I've got 12 volt halogen spots run from a torriodal transformer - five
units from each transformer. Can I replace these with LCDs or would
this cause problems with under-loading the transformer? I have read
something about having to have one conventional lamp in the circuit
but I don't fancy this as I would rather have them all the same.