Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Welding 4130

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:07:34 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:40:08 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:22:20 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

snip
Tig Welding Cast Aluminum Outboard Jet Pump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyFo-JP4fDQ

That's really impressive. I imagine how much practice that must take
to get the feel for doing that. That's why we have pros.

Yeah, he admits that he probably wouldn't do the job if it wasn't for a
friend.

Those are the kind of repairs I would like to know about down the road
several years...

I welded up a neighbors broken grass shoe earlier this summer for his
JD #5 Sickle Mower. It was in two pieces and had already been
welded/fixed a long time ago. Cast iron, never tried welding that
before. I bought some Forney Noma-Cast rod to try. Nickle rod is just
way too expensive for my fooling around abilities...

So far it has held together for at least one mow job. I had my doubts
it would even last that long ;-)

Did you see that butt-welded tube photo in the Fab Shop article? That
was a certification piece that my welding instructor welded around 15
years ago.It's normalized 4130 welded with 4130 filler -- the
worst-case combination. He's a certified U.S. Air Force airframe
welder, and he has to be re-certified every year.

Anyway, looking at it, and thinking about my own welding
(in)experience, I thought I could break that with one or two hammer
blows. I asked him if I could have it and then I proceeded to beat the
crap out of it.

It wouldn't break. Finally, I got a tiny little crack to show up where
I had folded it over and smashed it some more.

The whole thing is a series of mysteries. Serious welding instruction
these days includes quite a bit of basic metallurgy. I think that's a
good thing.

--
Ed Huntress