Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default AC switch in old Johnson Bandsaw.

On 9/21/2016 4:15 PM, dpb wrote:
On 09/21/2016 1:07 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 1:50:20 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

I guess you mean the electrical "broke"; mechanically it still looks
sound?

Well I took it apart and got it to work again for a few cycles.
But there is a broken piece of metal that should stop the
contact from moving too far... When it moves to far the
spring on the bottom falls out and.. broke.

Hmmm....that piece couldn't be repaired?

The cheap Chinese bench grinder I keep the wire wheels on had a switch
failure, too; a spring-loaded mechanical flip-flop pulled a
copper-plated lug in place across two contacts. It relaxed/bent first
time a number of years ago and was able to straighten it out and keep
going until this summer sometime it got so weak it wouldn't hold at all.
It was easy enough to swap out a toggle switch with a cover plate for
the big hole but I kept the old 'un; maybe at some point in time I'll
try to fab a new bar for it...

For yours, looks like a regular switch with the contact rating required
would work just drill out the need hole for the link pin. Might try to
epoxy on a couple thin metal strips along the sides for a little
reinforcement but would think that'd last quite a while that way...

I would end up mounting a microswitch with an attached lever
and energize/deenergize a relay that drives the motor. But those are
both in my junque box.
Mikek