Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I finally found a stereo microscope that I could afford.

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 05:41:50 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:25:57 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I finally found a stereo microscope that I could afford. It is a B&L
StereoZoom4 on a boom. I need a pair of 23mm 10X eyepieces, and the 38
mm light mounting ring. I know that some of you have some spare parts,
and I would prefer to buy from the group, than from eBay. I will buy a
LED light ring and the rubber eyepieces there.

Gunner might answer you with a complete scope setup.

If you're not picky and would accept a headpiece, I found a
multi-focal 10-25x set of lighted spectacles on eBay. They go for $9
delivered (from just up your street in Sou CAYlina) now.
http://tinyurl.com/zwyber4 (Just in case you don't need Bausch and
Lomb quality.)

I'm thrilled with mine, once I got over the loopy stomach @25x.
That's a CLOSE focus. It was hard to get the tweezers in there to rip
out the splinter. Sucha Deal, tho. g

Larry, have you ever used a boom microscope with zoom? A twist of
the knob, and the objective can be set anywhere between .7 to 3.0
magnification. With 10X eyepieces, it gives you a range from 7X to 30X.
Other eyepieces or objective lenses can give other ranges. The
StereoZoom 7 that I used daily at Microdyne had an even wider range,
without changing lenses.

Nice. No, I haven't used one, but I got a demo on an optical
comparator at a vendor's shop once back in my QA days in the early
70s. I'm guessing you're using this to work with death's head moths,
right? wink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3woSuuzQuc
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lz1GFwXhr4 The scene at 1:24 is
the last time I saw a boom mike. Aren't memories weird?

I have tried the head mounted magnifiers, with poor results.

They do leave something to be desired, but they're hundreds (if not
thousands) of dollars cheaper. Amount of use usually determines what
you're willing to spend on one, I guess. You hadn't let on that you
had already bought one when I suggested it, though, or I wouldn't
have. I'm guessing you're using this to work with death's head moths,
right? wink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3woSuuzQuc

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson