Jim Yanik

Default Advice on buying a tektronix TDS 544A scope

(Kooner) wrote in
om:

I know someone that is selling a TDS 544A for $3000. No warranty is
offered and Tektronix will not repair if it fails because it is too
old. The seller will let me try it out first for a week before making
a decision. If the scope checks out, would anyone advise me to grab
it or spend a few bucks more and buy something new with a warranty.
For example, a TDS 3014B is $4600 new with a 3 year warranty.

Thanks,

Kooner

Well,TEK did not put component level schematics in their 'service'
manuals.Now,it's possible that the US military bought some,and they would
have TO's(tech orders) with more complete servicing data. Also,calibrating
one of these is not easy,they were done on automated test stands by TEK.You
need a PC to load cal constants into the TDS,and the software to do the
cal.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net