Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default "Plug socket"

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 19:09:43 +0100, Scott wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 18:47:37 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 18:33:07 +0100, Scott wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 17:46:46 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a bus
station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has more
than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for me at the bus station.
However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices. Most people would not attempt to insert the plug into their eye socket.
Also you wouldn't say "the train is stopping at the railway station", just "the station". You only need the extra word when there's ambiguity.

Actually, they often say 'station stop' which always seems to me
unnecessary.

I've never heard that. I do find it amusing when a train "terminates" though.

--
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes?