Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman[_4_] Don Foreman[_4_] is offline

Default Retired!

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 08:32:24 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 10:27:07 AM UTC-4, Don Foreman wrote:

They couldn't sell that cheap crap at Wal-Mawrt and Depot if
consumers didn't put price ahead of function. They work when they go
out the door.

Similar is true of CF lights. The lights themselves will last for
years if the integral electronic ballasts don't blow up. I've never
had a CF fail, but I've had the electronics fail after just a few
months of service. When I dissect them, it amazes me that they could
ever have worked at all.

The problem is that one does not know which things are good and which are not. And a higher price does not necessarily mean better.

I've found that known brands nearly always have higher price and
usually have higher quality. Sylvania, GE, Osram, Philips, etc.
Definitely not Lights of America! I've had pretty good luck with CF
bulbs since I quit buying the cheapest ones available.

Walmart sell a LED light. 800 lumens 8.5 watts $1.61 in lots of four. Could be junk, but I have a bunch in use for some months and no failures.

Yup, there are some bargains out there. I got two LED shop light
fixtures, each having two 48 inch "tubes", for under 50 bux at Costco,
and I'm very pleased with them. They illuminate better than the 2 x
40W fluorescent tube fixtures that they replaced, one over my lathe.
The brand is Feit Electric. Never heard of them, but seems to be good
stuff.

Got a green light showing outside?
http://www.greenlightavet.com/
I have a green LED light bulb from Home Depot in my front porch
light. It's on 24/7 to thank vets for their service.

I'm a vet, maybe you are too. I appreciate gestures like that.

---