Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Replace battery in Harbor Freight "solar" powered welding helmet

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 20:01:28 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 19:36:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 18:44:36 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 9/17/2016 3:39 PM, mike wrote:
... It's unlikely that
it's a problem, BUT, it's your eyes and a mistake
could be very costly.
Tread carefully while you can still see.

The UV filtering is independent of the darkening - it's always
on.
So,
if it doesn't darken, you would get a flash, but it wouldn't
have
the
damaging UV in it.

Bob

Is that true with all auto-darkening helmets? I didn't realize
that.
It makes me feel better about them.

--
Ed Huntress

My Jackson EQC filters IR and UV when off. The flash doesn't hurt
my
eyes when I forget to turn the helmet on.

That's interesting. I just never thought to ask. It always worried
me,
and has kept me from using an auto-darkening helmet. After
cataract
surgery in both eyes and 3,000 laser burns on my retina
capillaries
treat diabetic retinopathy, I try to treat them well. Luckily, I
can
still see great. I want to keep it that way.

Window glass filters out UV too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S... ickness).svg

That's why auto-darkening sunglasses don't work behind a car
windshield.

Ha! I never thought of that, either.

--
Ed Huntress

--jsw

Knowing chemistry and physics clears up much of the mystery of the
world, without diminishing the wonder and appreciation of it.
--jsw