Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Replace battery in Harbor Freight "solar" powered welding helmet

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 12:39:12 -0700, mike wrote:

On 9/17/2016 11:18 AM, wrote:
This is the link with the instructions:

http://www.pskl.us/wp/?p=648

I'd have tried to put 3VDC thru a 1K resistor into the
dead one for a couple of days to see if it charges.
If it does, stick the helmet in the sun for a day or so.
DO NOT TRY TO QUICK CHARGE IT.

Mine's been in the box for about a decade. Just tried
it and it seems to work, but the next time the sun shows,
I'm gonna set it outside in the sun for a while.

One thing that concerns me is that you're putting 4.5V
on a 3V system. Have no idea what does to the phase
shift of the liquid crystal and how that affects the
attenuation of the light. It's unlikely that
it's a problem, BUT, it's your eyes and a mistake
could be very costly.
Tread carefully while you can still see.

The UV will be blocked no matter what the liquid crystal shutter does.
Its function is to block visible light.
Eric