Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default A bomb sent me home early

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 15:47:04 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 15:21:53 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

My surf-fishing trip was cut short this morning by a bomb that went
off in a trash can around two miles from where I was fishing. It had
been planted along the route of the Semper Five 5K charity run.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/explosion-j...ry?id=42160249

Nobody was hurt, but it was creepy. I didn't hear the bomb go off,
probably because the breeze was blowing the wrong way and the surf was
right in front of me.

So I came home to get out of the confusion; I'll go back again
tomorrow, if the road isn't blocked off.

You could just tell us you they weren't biting and you left early ;-)

I didn't get a chance to find out. g There were blues out there --
gulls were wheeling all over -- but they didn't come in to the beach
during the hour or so I was fishing. The bomb went off around 9:30 AM.

So how did you find out if you didn't hear it?

People were running around on the beach and yelling.

I was in God's country in Michigan's western UP when a bear hunter told
me about the 9/11 attacks. I thought it sounded pretty wild... It had
been a long day already, left the house early morning to go exploring
via topo, compass and GPS. So I mosied back to my vehicle and turned on
the radio. Yup, the guy wasn't pulling my leg. Decided it might be a
good idea to fill my fuel tanks (had dual tanks) rather than wait
longer for a better price (I thought it was too high when I arrived
several day's earlier). Made me feel better to have enough go juice for
the 600 mile trip back home...

Hmm...I was working at my computer, with the TV news on but the sound
turned off (my frequent habit during the workday). Then I turned
around to look at the TV...

--
Ed Huntress