Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Looking for small, surface mount (as in mount on a surface, not SMD) switches

I guess one could get mini toggle switches and mount then in a piece of
plastic trunking and solder the wires on inside directly. Its a bit fiddly
but could be done if the trunking was quite large and you glued the two
halves together.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
On 17/09/16 15:15, Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for some small switches that I can mount on a surface,
i.e. on flat walls (mostly wooden panels, possibly metal in a couple
of cases). They can't be mounted in a hole at all because the other
side of the same panel is also an 'outside' surface.

They don't need to be safe for mains, they are only switching 12 volts
at quite a low current (LED lighting, maximum an amp or so).

Can anyone suggest anything suitable? Part of the trouble is that
searching for 'surface mount[ing]' just produces an overwhelming
number of SMD components which doesn't help at all.

An architrave switch in a matching box is about the best I can manage
at the moment but they're far bigger than I really want.

Very unusual. Mostly what happens in this case is a small wooden box with
a front plate is made to to mount the switches on

Try a scrapyard - you shuold be able to find something from an old car.

Or better, I've just found all sorts or stuff for sale for boats and
caravans.

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.