Posted to alt.home.repair
Taxed and Spent Taxed and Spent is offline

Default The other LED bulb burned out

On 9/16/2016 8:53 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 13:15:41 -0400,
wrote:

I thought LED bulbs were supposed to last for many years. I put on in my
barn about 2 years ago. It's on all the time as a safety light. It only
uses about 5 watts so I'm not concerned about energy usage. (25W
equivlent).

All of a sudden it has gotten real dim, and it flickers. I'm wondering
what caused that? I know it cant be fixed and needs to be replaced, but
I did not think the LED bulbs were supposed to fail for many years.

When I shut it off, it stays lit for a few seconds after the switch is
OFF, so I imagine there is a capacitor in it, but obviously that cap is
working..... But it's less than half as bright as it used to be, and
flickers.

I had another identical bulb in another part of the barn. That one was
installed about the same time and was also left on all the time. That
one is now dead too, except that one is completely dead. I tried it in
another socket, DEAD !!!!

Interesting how both had about the same life span.....

I replaced both today with new LED bulbs (another brand).

sounds like in 1 year your should replace one even if it hasn't failed,
so you will never be in this situation again.