Sam Goldwasser

Default Paper shredder - diode question, circuit question

(Todd H.) writes:

Sam Goldwasser writes:

(Todd H.) writes:

Sam Goldwasser writes:

Can you test the motor alone. A shorted motor winding would be
a likely cause of fuse blowing.

Hey Sam,

Thanks for the response.

I disconneted the motor and slapped a meter across it and it reads 0.1
ohm across the motor terminals. Have I found the smoking gun?

What's a more normal motor reading?

What voltage is the motor supposed to run on? DC or AC?

DC...or at least rectified AC. The AC line comes onto the board and
hits a bridge rectifier. The circuit board components and motor leads
are all downstream of that. There isn't an enormous amount of
capacitance on the board.

Can you tell what type of motor it is. Does it have brushes? Is there
perhaps a capacitor or other component across its leads that is the
real culpret being shorted? 0.1 ohms sounds really low even for
a burnt motor.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.