Posted to alt.home.repair
T[_6_] T[_6_] is offline

Default LED Bulb dying

trader_4 has brought this to us :
snip quoted Left Wing drivel /snip

On 09/15/2016 12:27 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
It would certainly speed up the process, and marketing would just love
the great looking numbers. No need to test them for *two* hours when you
get such good results from one hour.

Hi Rafters,

I once asked how the military came up with the numbers.
I don't remember exactly what I got back, but the
term "Fudge Factor" had to apply. I do believe they
did things like speed up aging by heating the guys and then
used formulas to extrapolate the numbers back to room
temperature. Different types of parts had different
formulas. Iron versus silicon, for instance.
Or something like that.

Here is a good example of where MTBF means nothing:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/da...-530-brief.pdf

"Life Expectancy: 1.2 million hours Mean Time
Between Failures (MTBF)"

Does anyone actually think that the average lifespan is
137 YEARS? Oh brother. The metal would corrode by then.
The silicone in the transistors would start dripping
and turning back into glass.

The real "Life Expectancy" would be the warranty, which
is five years. And five years is good for such drives.
But 137 years does sound a lot better to the marketing
weasels.

-T

Hmmm. I wonder if I made any typos. AAAAAHHHHHHH !!!!