Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default SPAX Multi-Material Screws vs. Standard Wood Screws

On 9/15/2016 12:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 1:38:00 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 9/15/2016 12:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 12:04:04 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 9/15/2016 9:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

would there be a problem
using these screws in wood?

IME, German made Spax are well engineered, work well in wood, and are
well worth the extra expense for applications where sheer force strength
is required.

Just insure they're not chinese ripoffs, because those are on the market.

The box says Altenloh, Brink & Co. U.S., Inc.

"Manufactured in U.S.A. or Germany"

What are your thoughts on the "No Pre-Drilling In Wood" claim?

Try on a scrap. I use Spax screws to attach cabinet backs because they
are no predrill. In those 5/8" lengths I have no issue with no predrilling.
FWIW this is nothing new, pocket hole screws are self taping with no
predrilling in the mating piece.

I will try some scraps. I'll be using the 2.5" screws to hold three pieces
of 5/4" stock together. They'll be counter sunk for plugs so 2.5" will be
enough to grab all three boards.

The tapered counter sink bit will result in some pre-drillng, but if I
don't have to go the full length, that will certainly save some work.

FWIW it never hurts to predrill assuming you don't drill to large in
diameter.