Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Lead acid Positive plates problem

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 03:14:39 -0700 (PDT), George
wrote:

Is it possible that solder, being a tin / lead mix will have a lower melting point than pure lead? If so, it will be fairly straight forward. the other way might be to drill small holes and clamp the pieces together with stainless nuts and bolts. The electrolyte is probably not going to effect the materials. Has anyone any thoughts about this before I start to experiment. I am going to make up a bank of cells to feed an inverter to provide a no break supply for a house. or to charge up during the day from my solar array, (4Kw)

Yes as to lower melting point, depending on the solder. (Though the electrodes
may be a lead alloy). Solder comes in many different formulations, so check.

It sounds as if the plates are accessible -- so look at "welding lead". From a
glance at some youtube videos, it looks as if it needs a small and hot torch, to
heat quickly while limiting the melted pool, and a filler rod. A spare plate
would provide filler of exactly the right composition, and avoid any problems of
introducing new materials into the plate and the chemistry.

Welding would be easier if some kind of form-fitting dam or backing is possible
-- silicone moulding, possibly?

Or is recasting the plates out of the question? (I ask because I've read of some
of your rebuilds, and the seemed comprehensive...)

Thomas Prufer