Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Ping gfretwell: Commercial Electric LED Shoplight Review?

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 1:01:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 06:26:53 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

gfretwell:

It's been almost a year since you started a thread about these LED shop
lights. Are you still a fan?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...3161/205331022

Last night I stole the florescent shop light from my garage for use over a
project table in my basement. Now I need to either replace the garage light
or put the original back and get a new one for the project table.

FWIW my garage gets real close to freezing, but tends to hover just above
even in the coldest weather. The florescent fixture is a little slow in
the cold weather, but not bad at all.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

So far so good. I am swapping out my old F40T12s as the ballasts fail
and I have a couple different styles of LED, all are working so far.

Bought one, put it in the garage. It's much brighter than the florescent
fixture that I moved to the basement, almost too bright. My basement
ceiling is low, including my shop. I think the LED's would be too bright
being that close to my eyes. I have a bit of sensitivity to really bright
lights so I'm not sure they would work. It's easy enough to try, so I may
do that, but no need to right now.

The one annoyance was the chain that came with the LED fixture. It seems
like the links themselves are a heavier gauge than all my other shop lights,
but they are also smaller. They don't fit over the existing hooks that my
other fixtures are hanging from. I had to take 2 links from the older chains
and use them as the "hanging links" for the LED fixture.

They sure are lighter though! The box says they'll light down to -4°F, so
winter shouldn't be a problem. If it gets down to -4°F in my attached
garage, I've got bigger issues than a light fixture that won't come on. ;-)