Posted to alt.home.repair
T[_6_] T[_6_] is offline

Default LED Bulb dying

On 09/11/2016 05:17 AM, songbird wrote:
wrote:
...songbird asked...

check the wiring too...

It's not the wiring - its cheapassed chinese electronics rearing
it's ugly head again. Proper circuit design and assembly yields LED
lights that last for years. Cheapassed engineering and sloppy assembly
yields LED lights that can last as little as 100 hours.

You got that! CFL's will last a log time too, but no
one will spend the necessary money on one to achieve it.

White LED's are actually more fragile than you would think.
You have to get the heat out or they lose their ability
to shed light. Colored ones can take a lot more heat.

If the
engineering is OK and only the assembly is slipshod, you may get about
1 in 10 (as I did on a large installation) lasting 3 or more years

ok,

just that i had a direct wired LED light fail, but
it was actually the wiring that went instead, which
i didn't check until after i'd returned the unit and
put the replacement in and it still didn't work.

songbird

Hi Songbird,

I am an Electrical Engineer. You are not off track.
You are following best practice in troubleshooting.
Clare is just looking at what is most probable.
There is just a tiny bit of cross talk here.

Basically, your advice was spot on. If a fresh
bulb doesn't change the symptom, or trying the
suspect bulb out on another wiring run and the
bulb works properly, it is the wiring and could
be a danger to the structure.

Now, back to my zucchini!

-T