Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default digital scope question

"Glad I still have an old Techtronics 465B analog. "

Despite whatever gripes you might have about that scope, it is one of the prime old Teks to have. We have one and played with it and it has the ability to display both A and B sweep simultaneously. Very few scopes have that ability as far as I know. Now this one stopped triggering B sweep, I suspect Q4565 but have had other things on my mind. Plus the way they activate it by driving the emitter I don't want to throw just any transistor in there, except maybe for test. The pulse is there on the emitter, the bias is on the base, but the collector is a flatline, at a higher voltage of course. I suspect I am going to need a really fast transistor for that power range which isn't that high, but it has to ahndle a pretty high base to emitter current, so just a higher hfe, or HFE isn't going to cut it. they generally don't want high base currents, that is the whole idea of higher gain ! I would consider a high speed power switching transistor but it is socketed and I do not want to maul it. And I really don't want to modify it.

I'd like to keep it as stock as possible, it is in decent cosmetic condition except for those leggy thing at the back so it stands up on the floor, apparently they saw some use. But all the knobs and pots and switches are fine and the trace it sharp with no screen burn.

So it is on my bench all apart, but it is not holding up any other jobs, there is an old Pioneer receiver I need to order a bunch of transistors for but there is not rush on that. Other than that I just go to work, fukit. they are slowing down so maybe I'll get back on it. I can probably scare up a transistor for it around here once I do some math. Maybe. I just hate ordering things that only cost like thirty cents.