James Sweet

Default Intermittent "half-off" older GE TV

"Marada C. Shradrakaii" wrote in message
The victim: An older GE television. Model No. 17PF5652, service no.
17PF5652HA03, Chassis No. BC-A. Made September 1985.

The symptoms:

Picture and sound vanish. The remote still generates a response (the

displayed
channel number goes up and down and it turns on and off) as do the

front-panel
buttons. Problem has occured several times. In at least one occurence,

there
was a substantial reception loss (looked like no horizontal hold possibly)

just
prior to the failure (rabbit ears for reception) The problem seems to

cure
after a few minutes, as it powers back up fine afterwards. Set works fine

all
other times.

Notes: It seems the picture-adjust dials may be loose, as the brightness
occasionally gives out substantially until you wiggle the knob Possible
influence? Probably not?

Suggestions would be appreciated. I'm a computer-science type person, but

if I
could save the replacement cost of a set, it would be nice.
--

I would check the soldering around the flyback transformer and the rest of
the horizontal stage first.