Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Retired!

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 07:42:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .

Seriously, I would be worried about hard-core retirement. But I
don't
think I'll ever stop my writing work. I'm just severing all
connections with deadlines, employment, and related things. I think
that just stopping work itself is a good way to make yourself age
faster.
--
Ed Huntress

I'm still busy from 6AM to 10PM, now for a boss who knows all my
excuses. The difference is that I need more frequent breaks and a few
little naps. I help my retired neighbors with repairs and outdoor
tasks, in return for which I got enough leftover loam to fix my lawn.

Ah, one of life's little treasures, to a Murrican Male. I never
understood that part, having ripped out my ugly lawn and opted for
chips. Now I have another mound of dirt out there, waiting to be
tilled together with some compost and planted with perennial flowers
and such.

One of yesterday's projects was running the Harbor Freight inverter
generator after 3 months idle. I drained and filtered the oil after 9
hours running time and found only a couple of shiny particles on the
paper and nothing in the screen cup.

Bueno.

It helps to have a funnel like this to put the oil back in:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Q...unnel/19888803

I use one of HFT's top models, an old ATF funnel.

A conical spout cap gives enough access to top off the oil from a
quart bottle. Mine came from Fisher Plow oil bottles, after I rewired
a neighbor's plow.

I saved a conical tip from an old gear lube jug and use it when it
fits the new bottle of oil. A 9" length of vinyl tubing jammed over
the tip helps guide oil into deeper crevices and dark places.

I've started storing oil funnels and pouring spouts in plastic bags to
keep them from collecting dust that will get into the engine.

A worthy venture. I keep mine filled with rags for the same reason.
My older screen-printed handyman tees are providing many new rags
these days.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that