Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Retired!

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:21:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 3:39:34 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

--
Ed Huntress

I am in the midst of building a boat myself. It is for my grandson. It is in three sections so it can be taken apart and put in his fathers hatchback.

Somewhere around here they import fruit juice from South America. They ship it in big plywood boxes about 43 inches cubed with a plastic blatter inside the box. So a guy on Craigslist is selling the plywood pieces. 1 cm plywood 45 inches by 45 inches is $3. It is a bit thicker than I would have liked, but the price is right. Planing on stitch and glue construction. Now need to find some low priced epoxy. Already have the fiberglass tape.

Dan

That sounds interesting. There are two-piece boat designs around, but
I've never seen a three-piece. Phil Bolger designed a pretty long
schooner-rigged sailboat in two pieces.

I'm building a real minimalist boat -- the 7'9" Nymph pram, also
designed by Bolger. It's stitch-and-glue and real easy. You can see it
in Dynamite Payson's _Build The New Instant Boats_.

It's a car-topper rowboat that I can get up and down by myself; it
weighs 60 lb or maybe a little less if I decide to go for the
high-class imported plywood. It's mostly for pickerel fishing in the
ponds and cranberry bogs in the South Jersey Pine Barrens, and I may
use it in the tidal creeks that run into the NJ bays.

--
Ed Huntress