Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Electrical Outlet Replacement

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 1:51:24 PM UTC-4, Sam E wrote:
On 09/12/2016 12:24 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

That's a very good point and suggestion. The existing ones may have
been installed incorrectly at some point, with no ground present,
by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

Or by someone who DOES know what he's doing. He wants to be able to plug
in 3-prong plugs.

Well, I guess that depends on your definition of "knows what he's doing".
In my world, someone who violates code with a stupid and unsafe practice
doesn't know what they are doing. But I guess you have a point, there
are some people who know what they are doing is wrong, a code violation,
unsafe, etc. but just don't care.

Or, maybe those receptacles need replacing and 2-prong receptacles are
getting hard to find.

No problem finding them here, HD for example has them. And even if
they were hard to find and you decide to just replace it with a
grounded type and nothing more, then
IMO, you still don't know what you're doing, because it's easy to do
it right and code compliant.