Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Electrical Outlet Replacement

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 1:38:06 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 1:16:43 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 12:56:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I am leasing an older home. Some of the outlets have the 3-prong
grounding outlet and many have just the two-prong which we use
adapters on. Can the regular two-prong outlets be replaced with
3-prong without rewiring the home? Thanks

If it's a two prong, ie no ground receptacle in an older home then there
is almost certainly no ground.

I know you said "almost certainly" no ground so you are not wrong, but it
should still be brought into the conversation. I speak from experience.

My house house was built in 1956. Except for the family room addition,
all receptacles were 2 prong. The 2nd floor was wired with 14/2 w/o ground
(cloth covered wire). However, the 1st floor was wired with 14/2 *with*
ground (also cloth covered wire) and the ground wire was attached to the
box. I was able to simply replace the 2 prong receptacles with 3 prong
receptacles and a pigtail back to the box.

That is why I mentioned it to the OP. Situations like that do exist.

"very likely" would have been a better choice of words than "almost certainly".