Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Two wires in one plug?

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 12:50:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
I spent the first two decades of my working life as a TV repair tech
for Granada TV Rentals. Throughout the 70s and 80s
Often a room would have a single outlet.
It was very common for the TV to share a plug with a table lamp etc,
and the VHF distribution systems in Salford's high rise council
estates required a mains powered converter box. We weren't provided
with 2 or 3 way block adapters and 4 way trailing sockets were not
widely available and were probably expensive.
Later of course VHS machines arrived needing power.

The real problem in those days is flexes for things like table lamps were
often very thin. And everyone only used 13 amp fuses. I've seen such flex
get quite badly damaged (with a fault) before the fuse blew. And could
possibly start a fire.

These days most appliance flexes are capable of blowing a 13 amp fuse
safely.

I one saw a 3kW electric fire.
Extended with bell wire.
With a badly made tape join.