Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Acceptable Drill Press Runout?

On 2016-09-10, wrote:
On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 5:39:48 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Chicom chucks tend to not be of the best quality.....just saying....

Kind of depends. I think that drill press manufacturers and bench
grinder manufactures selling to the consumer market buy cheap chucks and
grinding wheels. Because if they price their tool a bit higher to pay
for a good chuck or wheel, most people will buy their competitors tool
because it is cheaper. But if you go looking for just a chuck, you will
find some good ones at reasonable prices.

However, Jet tends to be on the better side of imported machine
tools. I've used a Jet 13x40 lathe and found it quite well made, and I
*own* a Jet 8" grinder, which had been sitting in the store window long
enough so the images and printing on the side facing the outside was
rather faded, but when turned on, it was well balanced, and took forever
to spin down when turned off. I did replace one wheel with a white one,
but the other is still the original and serving well.

MSC for instance sell a 1/2 inch ball bearing " Accupro " chuck for
$133 and a 1/2 inch ball bearing Jacobs chuck for $163. I assume the "
Accupro " chuck is made in the far east.

Likely so.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--