Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Lead-free solder is such a PITA (rant/whinge)

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 05:07:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"Jeff I think you are mixing up the AC and DC power formulas. "

I just posted something to that effect not having seen
your post. I know the guy is smart and I guess he just had a
blonde moment.

Not that smart yesterday. I was on hold with a customer trying to
walk them through a messy problem. I'm easily distracted by paying
work. I also have a problem with some meds. In the morning, I take a
sustained release vasodilator, which initially causes a rather radical
drop in blood pressure. When that happens, the brain goes offline or
is reduced to operating at the speed of a snail for a while. I just
took a pill for breakfast and am posting drivel while waiting for my
ISP's support people to call me back, something that has been rumored
to happen at geological intervals.

In addition, the OP reverse engineered the oven wiring and produced a
schematic of sorts. Generally quite good but a few mistakes. One was
showing an SCR keying the solenoids instead of a Triac. If it were an
SCR, it would rectify the AC going to the solenoids. That would
produce some DC on the solenoids which would raise the dissipation.
However, I didn't catch that at the time and was still concentrating
on the DC part of the puzzle. Somewhere along the line, I simply
forgot about the inductance.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558