Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question for linux-based users

rbowman wrote:
On 09/09/2016 02:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm building a new box , based on an Asus M2A-VM mobo (old , but
I'm familiar with it , already have 2 in use) and a quad-core AMD
Phenom processor . I'm planning on loading a 64 bit XP Pro alongside
probably Ubuntu 16-04 . I'm wondering if the Ubuntu has the same
limitation of 3Gb usable RAM that 32 bit versions of Windows has .
Anybody know ?

Are you installing a 32-bit Linux on a 64-bit processor? The Phenom
should have the PAE flag:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PA...ct=EnablingPAE

I run 32-bit at work because of the hassles of compiling our software
on 64. It's not that big of a deal but otoh going to 64 bit doesn't
buy me much. However I run 64 bit SuSE at home. Years ago 64 bit
drivers for Linux could be problematic but that has changed.

No , the version of Ubuntu I just downloaded is a 64 bit version . I'm
still undecided , I may just load W7/64 and see how that works . Seems to
work pretty good on the wife's laptop .
--
Snag