Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_16_] Danny D.[_16_] is offline

Default Fertilizing rocky soil where it's half soil half stones (and no dirt)

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 10:02:45 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Flour is way, way, way too processed to be of any use. Besides,
when the water hits it, it make paste and will harden up.

I belatedly agree wholeheartedly with you.
The flour will basically turn the soil to "stone".

I have worked with some of the locals to come up with a "plan" to convert
the soil into home-made potting soil.

This is what we start with, which is 30-million year old beds of sediment
from the ocean bottom which have been shoved onto the continent via the
wonders of plate tectonics:
http://i.cubeupload.com/BLWg5f.jpg

I can dig a thousand foot hole, and it would still be "this stuff":
http://i.cubeupload.com/9Ssf42.jpg

So I dig it out of the ravines, where it collects as "top soil":
http://i.cubeupload.com/ixJt7h.jpg

Given that organics are so powerful (complex, but powerful), my new plan is
to add fungus-filled leaf rakings from either underneath the oak trees or
at the bottom of the wood-chip piles dotting my yard everywhe
http://i.cubeupload.com/3cudHY.jpg

I may even burn some of this spare wood "chunks" into charcoal, which
apparently has "acres" of surface area per handful!
http://i.cubeupload.com/8bCVNf.jpg

That way, I can make my own "terra preta":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

In addition, I'm told, I can add calcium via some of my readily available
pool chemicals, which also helps in the adsorption of moisture in this
otherwise dry soil.

And, of course, I'm gonna need "fertilizer" of some sort.

Already two of the neighbors said I can have all the manure off their goat
and alpaca filled property that I can handle!