Posted to uk.d-i-y
KYW KYW is offline

Default Securing a metal farm gate....

"Tim+" wrote in message
jim k wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
jim k wrote:

bit "off piste" but fishing for ideas really :-)

I want to try & secure a metal farm type gate to stop twerps
opening it and turning their chav mobiles around in the yard
beyond.
Complicated by the need for the postman to access and turn around
usually max once a day....

Any lateral thinking or thought trains I can catch a lift on?

Simple 4 digit bicycle combination lock?

Tim

Mmm I can envisage certain posties leaving the combination visible
or even the whole lock open.... Is there a sort of combination
lock that "resets itself" to keep the combination secret from
unauthorised eyes should a twit leave it unscrambled?

Would it matter? If it's only to dissuade folk from turning around there
it
probably only needs to look vaguely locked. A couple of loops of chain
wrapped around would probably be more than enough to put off all but the
nefarious from entering your yard.

Some arrangement where the gate looks like its chained but
in fact isnt and which doesnt require the postman to do anything
at all except realise that it isnt chained should work well.

Maybe that's what you meant.