Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Fertilizing rocky soil where it's half soil half stones (and no dirt)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 16:09:03 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 11:23:29 -0400, songbird wrote:

the more diverse you can make a garden soil the
more resilience you have for handling different
conditions and a balance between the good kinds and
the kinds which can cause diseases.

While it's all complex, I think you summarized the problem set pretty well,
which is the more diverse you can make the soil, the better because all
sorts of "minor" good things happen, and most bad things are diluted, so to
speak.

I used to live a mile or so from the Susquehanna River in central PA.
After it flooded from snow melt, it flooded boat ramps with some great
material I collected for the garden. A co-worker would bow hunt for
carp at night and I would bury them whole in the garden. (fish
emulsion / bone meal) Had the indeterminate variety of tomatoes
growing ~ 16 feet on 14' 2X4 stakes. They weighed a pound each. Cherry
tomatoes were the size of a half-dollar. All the neighbors had fresh
tomatoes and we had jars of tomatoes sauce. Bell peppers were huge,
too. A local fish monger with give you fish guts for free if you get
adventurous.