Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Anyone experience of 2 part epoxy putty

harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 23:54:35 UTC+1, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 06/09/2016 13:23, wrote:

Hi all,

I have recently bought a whirlpool bath on eBay and one of the plastic pipe fittings (part of the air jets) was broken. I am having difficulty sourcing a new one and one of the spares suppliers recommended repairing it with a 2 part putty. Looking online everbuild does an epoxy putty aqua which speaking to their technical department say it should do the trick - although I can't source it locally.

Anyone have any experience with this or similar products?

Yes.
I had a pin-hole in a 22mm CH pipe above the suspended ceiling in the
shop. No idea how or why it happened but I didn't want to drain down
the whole system so I mixed up some 2 part epoxy putty stuff, stuck it
over the pin-hole and bound it over/around with self amalgamating tape
(brilliant stuff in it's own right).

That was at least 10, may be even 15 years ago and it's never leaked since.

There was a manufacturing problem with copper pipe back then
ISTR it was to do with the lubricant used when drawing the pipe through dies during manufacture.

It was also thin wall tubing which picked up carbonised lumps and
then the lumps fell off some years later and a pin hole appeared. It
happened in the mid 70s, in 15mm tubing particularly. I have a house
full of it! I've found out that almost all of the problems appear where
the tube has been bent. The original plumber had the bad luck to put a
bent section in the floor screed and then had to dig it up to replace
it. I had one pin hole appear at 1am on Sunday morning when I had to be
on a plane out of the country for a week at 7am. At 2am, I'd drained
down the system and patched the bend, she couldn't understand why I was
repairing it at that time, as I didn't tell her in those days, until a
few hours before I flew, to reduce her panic sessions. Fortunately all
the 22mm and 28mm pipe is thick wall, the only problem there is getting
enough heat into it to break the joints. People have problems if they
upgrade to mains pressure heating systems as the pipes then spring leaks
and have to be replaced. This has recently happened to a friend who has
had to have most of her bungalow pipework replaced